- not recommended to be under 12′ wide, in order to accommodate emergency vehicles
- all gates are custom made to be any width or height, to suit specific site conditions and needs
- recommended height of at least 6’6″ if you want to keep deer out
- you must use exterior locking devices on any single swing gate leaves over 10′ wide
a) Single swing vs. double swing – we recommend a double swing gate on driveways over 10′ wide
b) Slide – must have an additional 2′ of sideroom to accommodate a slide gate
- ground must be reasonably level
- not recommended where tree/yard debris is abundant, as ground track can become obstructed
c) Cantilever – must have an additional 5′ to 10′ of sideroom
- no ground track is required
- site doesn’t need to be as level as with a slide gate
- less maintenance than a slide gate
- Aluminum – lightweight, low maintenance, powder coated finish
- Wood/aluminum combination
Standard gate colours are white or black, but it can be custom powder coated to almost any colour.
- Aluminum gates are available in 22 standard designs or custom designs are also available
- We can arrange to add graphics to the gate – name plate, house number, emblems, etc.
- Custom wood
- Decorative hardware also available for custom wood gates
- Wood/aluminum combination
- Glass/aluminum combination
- If you have an existing steel or chain link gate, some modifications may be required to electrically operate it.
a) Steel posts – embedded or surface mount
- minimum of 6″ X 6″ steel
- powder coated to match gate colour
- can be embedded in concrete or mounted on concrete pads with base plate
b) Steel angles – embedded into stone/concrete pillars
- 6″ X 4″ X 1/4″ steel angle with rebar protrusions, designed to be incorporated into the back corner of your stone pillar
- painted to match gate colour
c) Secondary Steel posts – mounted behind existing pillars
- embedded or surface mount
d) Anchoring directly onto pillar facing with epoxy –
- more cost effective, but not recommended for long term performance
NOTE: Gate hinges should mount on the back corner of the pillar, as opposed to in the center of the pillar.
a) Single swing / Double swing gate – Hydraulic, Screwdrive, Articulating arms or In ground units are all available –The proper equipment is selected based on the size of the gate, gate usage, space limitations and cost restrictions.
b) Slide or cantilever gate – Hydraulic or electric units.
Yes, you will need:
- Line voltage of 110V/115V or 220V/240 (Please note – a 24V operator also needs an 115V power supply.)
- Low voltage – to power accessories like photocells and an entry/exit device
- A dedicated 20 Amp service
Please note – Solar power is not recommended, or reliable, in this area, unless perfect site conditions are present.
Yes, we recommend one, or a combination of the following:
- In ground safety loop
- Miller Edge (contact reversing edge) on sliding gates
- SOS – Siren operated system will open the gate.
a) Radio controls (transmitters / remotes) – designed for homeowners and regular visitors.
b) Digital entry (outside keypad) – visitor must have a code to enter the property. This keypad can be mounted directly to the gate posts / pillars, or it can be mounted on a separate post or a gooseneck stand.
c) Intercom – Can be voice or voice with video – visitors activate the intercom to communicate with the homeowner, in a specific location, within the house.
d) Telephone entry system – Homeowners can communicate with visitors using their home telephone or from a cell phone. A camera can also be integrated into the telephone entry system.
e) Free entrance loop / probe – allows any vehicle approaching the gate free access to the property – used when security is not a consideration. (For example: Animal control)
f) Exterior pushbutton – Allows vehicle or pedestrian traffic free access to the property – used when security is not a consideration. (For example: Animal control)
a) Radio Controls
b) Digital Entry
c) Exit Loop / Probe
d) Exterior Pushbutton
Ideally, for convenience and safety, you would have a separate pedestrian gate that can allow free entry / exit, and can be secured with various locking devices.
All gate operators allow for manual disconnect using unique keys.
All gate operators allow for manual reconnect using unique keys.
Solar power is not recommended, but site conditions will dictate if feasible.
No – all gates are designed for manual operation and can be locked using cane bolts or other locking devices.
All systems can be upgraded with a battery back up system. Some 24V operators have built in battery back up as a standard feature.
Solid gate designs can have a problem with wind loading and this can affect the operation of the gate.
If you have an existing driveway of:
- concrete/asphalt – installed using a small saw cut
- paving stones – are removed to allow for placement of loop and then reinstalled
- gravel – a 3″-4″ deep trench is created and a 1/2″ conduit encased loop is installed
If you are dealing with new construction:
- a preformed loop is installed prior to the finishing of the driveway
Some modifications may be needed to your existing gate, in readiness for mounting the electric operator. Also, modifications to your existing posts / pillars, or installation of secondary posts, may be needed. If your existing gates are not electrically operated now, trenching will also be done to accommodate the necessary wiring.
A 7-day or 365-day timer can be installed to open and close your gate, as desired.
Annual maintenance on your gate system is important to extend the life, and maintain the reliability, of the equipment.
Yes, all entry codes can be changed. Please refer to your specific owner’s manual for details.
There are special hinges and gate construction methods available that allow us to accommodate approximately 5% of upward sloping elevation change, with swing gates.
A gradual side to side elevation change, up to 5%, can be accommodated to a certain extent, through gate design and installation methods, when dealing with a sliding gate.
Typically you want your gate to swing into the property. However, gates and operators can be mounted to swing outwards, in certain applications.
Yes, we can fabricate fencing to match aluminum gates